Sunday, September 25, 2011

Fall Fun


 **Uploading pictures is not working today...I'll try again soon :)

This weekend, one of my high school students offered to share her family’s moose with us.  She came over on Friday night and using her ulu, cut up her moose meat, seasoned it, and threw it on the stove with water.  We roasted some veggies in the oven to go with it.  Every two weeks we get fresh fruits and vegetable in the mail.  It is so nice to have these things, because there is literally no other way for us to get fresh food like this.  The small store in town has canned goods, a limited amount of bread and eggs, and lots of pop and candy (the students’ favorites)!  Sometimes we get some crazy things in that vegetable box that I have no idea what to do with- like bok choy and rainbow chard.  Needless to say I am learning a few new recipes this year :)

It was so generous of my student to share her family’s moose with us.  Her father shot one moose this season, and it sounds like in general, it was a tough season for the villagers.  Fall hunting season is over, but there is another moose hunting in winter.  Maybe there is more moose in my future? 


This week there were a few passings in the village.  My students told me that one of the elders that passed away was 104.  I can’t even begin to explain the family structure of the Yup’ik , as it is very different from the traditional Western family and I am just beginning to wrap my brain around it.  I was able to learn a little more this weekend by observing the funeral that took place yesterday.

I was working in school yesterday morning to get some lesson plans done as I have homework that I am spending today completing.  Teachers in Manokotak work at least 6, if not 7 days a week!  Right before 2 pm, the “running of the kids” began.  I could hear the back and forth racing of the little ones down the school hall- which meant it was time for the funeral to start.  Because the school is the biggest building in the village, this is where the double funeral was held.  Everyone from the village was up, and I had heard that many from other villages flew in as well.  Tons of cars and 4-wheelers were parked outside school as I left just before 2.  A few dozen kids were outside on our two playgrounds as adults were filing into the building.  After a few hours, most vehicles left to go to the small cemetery that sits between the school and village.  Soon after, they were back up at the school for the “potlatch” (potluck) that followed. 

Other things I did yesterday:
·      Lucas taught me to drive the 4-wheeler.   My previous experience with a non-automatic vehicle was not a good one.  This was MUCH easier.
·      We had ourselves a little fire and made nutella s’mores.
·      Taco and game night with our neighbors/co-workers/friends :)

The tundra is changing colors and looks beautiful.  However, I really miss a Midwest fall with the changing leaves and trips to apple orchards.  My students have told me that there will be caramel apples in the store soon….I am crossing my fingers!  Until then I’m drinking my pumpkin spice tea  a co-worker shared and eating the apples my mom sent me!




1 comment:

  1. Looks as if Luke is in love with that puppy. Maybe you have a dog in your future after all. Or a Mittens!

    ReplyDelete