Sunday, January 6, 2013

Happy New Year!

We made it back to our little village today and are all unpacked and settled in.  Our Christmas break went by too quickly, of course, and we are back to work tomorrow.  We are very blessed to have spent the holidays with our families and to have had the opportunity to see lots of friends while in Illinois and Minnesota.  While it is always hard to leave the ones we love in the Lower 48, it was especially hard this time around.  It is partially because our parents spoil us while we are visiting, but mostly because I am just so happy the whole time that I am at my parent's house.  It is just so relaxing and joyful :)

Highlights of our trip include:

1) Family time.  This takes the cake!  In Illinois we spent lots of time with my parents and younger sister, Jessica.   We spent Christmas Eve at my uncle and aunt's and got to visit with my mom's side of the family.  I cannot imagine ever missing Christmas Eve with the Vick's!  We visited with my grandmother and aunt (Hendricks family side) on Christmas Day for a bit as well.  There was also a birthday celebration for Grandma Vick and breakfast out with the grandparents the day before we flew back to Alaska.  I love, love, love being back in Sleepy Hollow!  Love.

In Minnesota we stayed with Lucas' parents and were able to celebrate Christmas with the Kaplan side of the family on the 30th.  We watched the Vikings game (obviously) in the shed (obviously) because that is what you do when in Owatonna, Minnesota :)  Lucas was in heaven.

We also spent the weekend with my sister and brother-in-law in St. Paul while up in Minnesota.  It was super fun to be able to spend some quality time with them, even though it was too short!  We had taco/game night and also were able to go to a Timberwolves game in Minneapolis with them.  I am absolutely pumped for this summer because we have some plans in the works that would have us living very, very close to Erin and Rick.  More details on that to come :)

2) Friend Time.  We are lucky we have friends that are willing to drive a bit to see us.  We get pretty sick of driving back and forth between Illinois and Minnesota, so luckily we have the some sweet friends that meets us at places that are convenient for us!  I was able to see my best friend from high school, Jen, who now lives in Des Moines.  We happened to be back in our hometowns around the same time.  Chit-chatting and coffee with her is always the best!  I wished we lived closer :(  I also got to see the my college ladies/roomies- Becky, Rebekah, Kara, and Skuza.  I love that we can all get together and it is like six months hasn't even passed since we last saw each other.  It is really hard to leave these girls.  They make me so happy and there is never enough time to catch up properly.  I look forward to when we are back in Minnesota (pretty sure it will be in the cards one day) and I can spend more time with them.  Summers off with Becky in the cities have amazing potential :)  And we have a couple more weddings yet to celebrate along with future little ones (in a few years...).  Lots to look forward to!

We also were able to meet up with Lucas' college roommate and his girlfriend while in St. Paul.  Nicest couple ever, and I was glad we were able to see them.  New Year's Eve was celebrated in Owatonna with Lucas' high school crew.  I always tell Lucas he picked some pretty sweet friends- it was lots of fun.

3) Football.  I feel like our break was dominated by football-watching (I am exaggerating slightly, but it was ALWAYS on).  In fact, as I am typing this, Lucas is watching the Redskins play the Seahawks.  I like family and friend time a lot more than football time.  I tend to want to take naps while football is on (and I did, yesterday, at one of Lucas' brother's friend's house while watching the Vikings game in Anchorage).  Family + Friends > Football.  That's really all I have to say about that.


I am hopeful about you, 2013.  2012 was pretty amazing (how can you top getting married and going to Jamaica?), but I think there are some bigger and better things to come this year.  We are praying (and would really appreciate extra prayers as well) and working hard on our end to make some things happen in the next few months.  Keep thinking of us as we are on this journey of life, love, and learning in Alaska.  Happy New Year!

-A + L




No comments:

Post a Comment